Provides older adults with door-to-door transportation to medical appointments, social engagements, shopping, etc.
The Senior Rides Program, a program within the Department of Aging & Human Services, is funded through a grant from the Maryland Transit Administration and the Commissioners of St. Mary's County. This service is available to older adult's age 60 years of age or older who are unable to utilize other public transportation options and lack reliable sources of transportation. Click here to view the program brochure .
Through the use of volunteer drivers, older adults are provided with door to door transportation to medical appointments, social engagements, shopping, etc. All trips are provided using the volunteer's personal vehicle. When possible, the Department will attempt to coordinate transportation requests with other public transportation resources.
An application is required for all older adults interested in participating in the program. The Rider Application can be completed by phone, in-person, or mail.
Once accepted into the program, riders are instructed to make their requests for transportation at least 3 business days in advance for locations within the county and 5 business days for out of county destinations. Out of county rides are for medical only.
Due to the limitations of this program, transportation requests are limited to 4 per month per rider. Transportation requests are not a guarantee of service and can only be accommodated if a driver is available.
- Be 60 Years of age or older, and a St. Mary's County resident
- Have a low to moderate income not to exceed $4,040 per month for an individual or $5,420 for a couple
- Be able to walk using a cane or walker (wheelchairs cannot be accommodated)
- Lack access to reasonable, affordable transportation
- Riders must use other forms of public transportation when available and when appropriate
- Fees are charged using a radius method based from the rider's pick up address
- Compete a Rider Evaluation Survey for each ride completed
- Transportation to procedures requiring anesthesia and/or excessive wait times will be considered at the time of the request.
- Sign release/waiver form
- Be ready at time of pick up
- Be prepared to pay all tolls, parking, or other fees incurred on the trip
- Wear Seatbelt
- Be courteous
Volunteer Driver Recruitment/Benefits:
In order to sustain the Senior Rides program there is an ongoing effort to recruit volunteer drivers. Divers are not required to volunteer a minimum number of hours per month and are offered the following benefits:
- Mileage reimbursement
- Supplemental accident insurance
- CPR/First Aid Certification
- Volunteer Recognition
- Driver Safety Training
- A great sense of pride in their community
Drivers are provided with all pertinent information such as driving directions and contact information prior to the trip.
- Patience and genuine love of helping others
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Own personal vehicle
- Have an automobile insurance policy with a minimum personal liability limit of $100,000
- Completed Application & volunteer driver waiver release
- Participate ininformal interview
- Pass Criminal Background Check
- Pass MVA Driving Record check annually
- Attend driver safety course
- Attend driver orientation class
Melissa Beauvais, Senior Rides Program Coordinator
(301) 475-4200 ext. 1066